Friday 22 March 2013

channa masala ( Chole )




Oh chole!!! This has to be one of the most all time favourite curries in our house hold. Whenever I am cooking this, I know that my husband will come home a happy man.

Before I carry on, I must apologise for the lack of updates onto my page, but we have had a hectic time over the last few months. First of all was Christmas and my sons 5th birthday, then I had a painting to commission. Also my son, who believe it or not has a food phobia!!! BUT..... He really has been coming on leaps and bounds just recently and is really trying hard to eat. It breaks my heart when my child doesn't eat, so with him making such good progress, you can imagine how busy I have been with cooking and trying out some new recipes that I think that he will eat. All of this on top of my usual stuff to do has just taken up all of my time, so now I have a few days off to relax and catch up on all of my hobbies.

I thought that this would be a really good recipe to kick start my blog again. I'm afraid that there isn't many photographs yet, but I will upload some more at a later date. The trouble is with the photography side is, I just get too hungry!! lol so I promise that I will start to cook earlier so that I have the chance and also I am sure that the lighting will be improved if I take the photo's earlier in the day too.

In this recipe I have added potatoes, but you don't have to add them if you don't want to. Also in this photo, I have paired it up with neer dosa's, but usually you can serve it with just rice or any type of Indian bread. Enjoy!! :) :) :)

Ingredients:-

1 can chickpea's, (the fat boiled one's taste much better in this.)
1 large potato, cubed and boiled,
2 tbs oil,
1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
a pinch hing ( asafoetida)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds,
1 bay leaf (optional)
4 cloves,
a small piece of cinnamon,
1 small tin of chopped tomatoes, or 1/2 large can,
1-2 tbs fenugreek leaves,
1/4 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
1 large tsp garlic paste,
1 large tsp ginger paste,
1 green chilli chopped ( optional )
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1/2 tsp red chilli powder,
2 tsp chole or channa masala,
1-2 tsp sugar,
salt to taste.

Directions:-

1) Drain the chick pea's, give them a good rinse and them microwave them on full power with 2 tbs of water for a few minutes.

2) Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Once it is hot enough, add the mustard seeds. Wait for them to pop and then add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, asafoetida, cloves and cinnamon. Stir fry for about 10 seconds.

3) Add the tomato, ginger, garlic and the chilli and cook this down to a thick paste and you can see the oil.

4) Add the fenugreek leaf if you are using and mix well into the paste, cooking it down for another minute or so.

5) Take off the heat and add the powdered spices. Mix well and then return to a low heat and add the drained chick pea's. Saute them in the spices for 2 or 3 minutes.

6) Add sufficient water, bring to the boil and then simmer on a low heat for around 10-20 minutes.

7) Add the salt, sugar and potatoes and mix in gently. Taste to check the seasoning and adjust to your taste. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes to let the flavours develop.

Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with your choice of rice and bread....... ENJOY!!! :) :) :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice awesome recipe. The channa masala is an perfect one. Thanks it helped me alot. Click for Mock tail.

    ReplyDelete