Monday 8 December 2014

traditional Khichi or khichu recipe ( rice flour dumplings)


I have already posted a recipe for khichi before, but it was a very early recipe of mine and completely improvised. It has always been an all time favourite snack of mine to buy when I go shopping to belgrave road. Another reason why it is a favourite is because it is steamed, so it is a healthy option to the fried snacks. When I have given it to other people, they either love it or hate it, but a word of warning, if you like it, you wont be able to stop eating the stuff. I now make this snack weekly because i find it keeps well in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Anyway this is a completely different way of cooking khichi to my last recipe. It has been given to me by my friend who used to work in one of the sweet marts that i like to visit. I am very lucky to share this recipe with you. I was so over joyed when I first cook khichi this way. I hope you will be too! Let me know what you think........ :D

Ingredients:-

1 cup of fine rice flour,
1 tsp cumin seeds,
1/4 tsp asafoetida or hing,
a pinch of turmeric,
1 tsp of fresh green chilli paste,
1/2-3/4 tsp fresh ginger paste,
1/2 tsp papad khar,
around 3/4 tsp salt or to taste.
Fresh green coriander and red chilli flakes.

Directions:-

1. Heat  medium sized pan an the cooker and add 2 1/2 cups of water.
2. Into the water add all of the ingredients except for the rice flour.
3. Bring everything to a boil. once it reaches boiling point, add the rice flour and stir with all of your might! It has to be lump free!
4. Kneed the dough with a wooden spoon or or spatula until it becomes all nice and smooth.
5. Get a large steamer pan heated up and ready. I use one of those steal stack steamers that you cook on the stove top.
6. Transfer the dough into a slightly smaller bowl or plate and spread out so that it is fairly thin. Cover it with cling film to stop the drips from getting in.
7. Pop it into the steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes, giving it a quick stir halfway through.
8. This next step is completely optional, but i think it looks really nice and makes it easy to serve, but you could just transfer it into a suitable bowl.
Leave the khichi to cool so that you can handle it. With lightly oiled hands, scoop up the dough and make little patties. using your thumb or the end of a rolling pin make an indentation in the center. Do this until you have used up all of the dough.
9. Sprinkle fresh green coriander and red chilli flakes and a drizzle of oil (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment